Old February 9th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default A couple of questions about IPC

On 02/09/06 11:07, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:23:33 -0800, Mark Hansen
wrote:

On 02/09/06 09:02, Mitty wrote:

On 2/9/2006 10:52 AM, Mark Hansen wrote the following:

Wait a tick ;-) Are you saying that if you're beyond the 6-month
currency, that you can fly in actual IMC and all you need is an IR-
current safety pilot - not a CFII?

Sure. The IFR-current pilot would be PIC and could legally let a
monkey handle the controls if he chose to, so why not an IA rated pilot?

Yes, but I didn't think this 'monkey' was allowed to use the time toward
IR currency.

If you review 61.57 regarding instrument currency, you will see that the
requirements are for logging flight under actual or simulated instrument
conditions.

The requirements for logging are merely that you be sole manipulator of the
controls.

So yes, the non-current pilot can manipulate the controls and log PIC in
IMC, while the IR pilot acts as PIC, but cannot log PIC while in IMC.

Yes, I see that. I think I just had the wrong impression based on something
my instructor told me - and didn't question.

I won't bother with the details, as I'm convinced now that he was
wrong.

Thanks!

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA