Old August 6th 03, 11:21 PM
Robert Moore

"Jim" wrote
To think that every IMC approach needs to be flown all
the way the MAP or DH in IMC before it is loggable is
simply not practical.

I would agree, not practical at all.

I would pose the following situations to Mr. Gary.

1. Wx is 200x1/2...I break-out of the ILS at 200',
can I log it? What if I was using CAT II mins?
Same ILS, same instruments, but I broke out 100'
above minimuns...can I log an approach?
2. Same approach except on the final vector, I engage
the autopilot and do not touch the controls again
untill minimums. Can I log it?
3. Same approach except that the Wx is reported as
visibility 1/4 in ground fog. I engage the autopilot
and auto-land and sit back and enjoy the ride. Can
I log it as an approach???...a landing????
4. Same approach except the Wx is now CAVU, I program
the autopilot the same as in number 3. Did I fly an
ILS? You bet I did. Did I log a landing? You bet!

It ain't as cut-and-dried as Mr. Gary would have it be.

Bob Moore
ATP B-727 B-707 L-188
CFII
PanAm (retired)