Old December 15th 03, 05:41 PM
phil hunt

On 15 Dec 2003 04:11:32 GMT, Krztalizer wrote:

You mean Bf 109 don't you?

www.ultratech.net/~davtow

At no place in my post did I use the "Me" aircraft discriminator, but since you
brought it up, the Messerschmitt firm had already used "Me-109" on data plates
and internal company documents for years, so either this or Bf 109 would be
correct for the aircraft that was actually assigned the RLM identifier of
"8-109", if you'd care to quibble. I have copies of KTB (loss reports from
units to their parent wings within the Luftwaffe force structure) and
Messerschmitt docs that from as early as 1943 that clearly call the little
fighter "Me-109". I wouldn't say it was in general usage in Germany, as it was
in the Allied nations, but its certainly wouldn't have caused an identification
crisis if you called one by that name as it passed over. Good to remember that
every German pilot that flew them in combat usually referred to them as simply
"der Me" ('the Me').

I thought they were usually known by the version letter, such as
"Emil" for the 109E, "Gustav" for the 109G, etc.

(Email: , but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).