Old May 25th 12, 02:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
clairbear

Default Has anyone here seen Red Tails - 1 attachment

Savageduck wrote in

On 2012-05-23 11:46:28 -0700, Jovian said:

clairbear wrote in news:XnsA05CA80AEBDFclairbear@
216.196.97.142:

Savageduck wrote in

On 2012-05-22 19:58:27 -0700, clairbear said:

Just curious if it is worth adding to my Bluray/DVD collection

image

I have only read some of the reviews and some other feed back, and

what
I get is this movie does not do the Tuskegee Airmen justice. It

seems
there is a lot of CGI effects and an over the top story line.

The 1995 PBS DVD "The Tuskegee Airmen" with Andre Braugher as Gen.
Benjamin O. Davis, Laurence Fishburne, and Cuba Gooding Jr. is
marginally better.

It did get kind of mixed reviews I don't think it was seen by a lot

of
peopleI wonder if some of the reviewers expected more Historical

movies
rarely hit the mark for accuracy

Ohhhh... I really hate to say this in here. It is not
my intention to start some flame war, BUT...

Reviews and critics don't make or break a flicker.

Most folks are smart enough (I pray) to smell skunks.
The skunk in this example is political correctness.

Without my perfunctory 30 minutes dissertation on this,
just know that Hollyweird would have you believe that the
Tuskegee Airmen won the War in Europe. Then you ask, who
won the War in the Pacific?

You don't know your history like Hollyweird does.

The War in the Pacific was won by...

wait for it....

The Indian code-talkers.

I respect everything the Tuskegee pilots and the
Indians did, but a wider range of people had no
small part in that effort.

Agreed!

Others who would agree include quite a few Russians, Brits of all
flavors, expat Czechs, expat Poles, expat Dutch, expat Norwegians,
expat Danes, Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, South Africans,
Rhodesians, Free French, Post 1943 Surrender Italians, Micronesian
Natives, Chinese, Indians, Nepalese, and our pre-cold war ally in the
Balkans, Tito, and a group of nationalist guerillas in French
Indo-China.

...then there were the many unidentified of other nations and ethnic
groups who fought, fueled by a sense of right.

Every war film that fictionalizes the history of WW2 makes it seem as if
the war could not be won without them. Movies like the Big Red One, Go
For Broke(abuot the Nisei soldiers), Private ryan ans somany other make
it look like the war could not be won without a small group, But that is
just a plot device to make the heros of the movie seem more heroic.