Old August 14th 03, 05:58 PM
Robert M. Gary

Bill Zaleski wrote in message . ..
I fail to understand the logic of your statement, Robert. I am not
slamming or bashing, but just trying to understand.

If you "must be IMC from the IAF to the MAP" then legally, you must
have missed on the approach, since you have stated that you are in
"IMC at the MAP". Surely, one must not miss an aproach in actual in
order to use it for legal currency.

Well, you could break at at the MAP (I actually have) but it is true
that you could have to get pretty lucky to get that weather. However,
that is what the Sacramento FSDO says and Mr. Lynch as well. So you
are correct, a successful approach in actual conditions would almost
never be loggable in their view. For me personally, I log the approach
if I encounter any IMC between the IAP and MAP. However, since I'm a
CFI and I'm flying around with students (sometimes in the clouds) and
often with my wife and small kids, I do an IPC with our local DE every
6 months.