Old March 13th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

wrote:
On Mar 12, 6:17 pm, Sam Spade wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 12, 5:21 pm, Mark Hansen wrote:

That's just simply not true. You say your willing to learn. Just read
the regulations already.

Thats your opinion Mark.

As in "just" his opinion, right?

It's his *considered* opinion based upon your *stated lack of
understanding* of the fundamentals of the purpose of MDA, the MAP, and
FAR 91.175 (c) (1) and (3) (i).

I told you before, this is how I run my shop. I NEVER SAID IT WAS
ILLEGAL. So far, I have not hit anything below me by NOT descending
below MDA before the MAP. This is the way I was taught and if it
works for me, you can do whatever FARS says.

You do it your way, and I will do it my way. Zero zero takes offs are
perfectly legal.

Just because FARS says so doesn't mean it's safe!!!!!!!!!!!

What you said was:

"I was also told for checkride that I couldn't go below MDA
before MAP or it's a bust. (VOR alpha at KMBO is my most common non
precision approach) so that stuck out in my mind."

That is just plain wrong.

Further, if you insist on remaining at MDA until the MAP at a busy Class
D airport, the tower will get ****ed off to say the least, if other
aircraft have the required visual references to leave MDA in accordance
with the provisions of 91.175 so as to land straight in.

If I were giving you the oral for your instrument check ride or a
proficiency check and you told me that you couldn't leave MDA before the
MAP on the VOR-A at KBMO, my next question would be, "Is that always
true?" Unless you could explain the nuances of an IAP that has only
circling minimums, and when you can leave MDA and when you cannot, I
would send you home for some more study time or, preferably, serious
ground school.

As to "zero zero" take offs, that is begging the question. That is not
authorized by any FAR, it just isn't prohibited for Part 91 operations,
because there are no takeoff minimums for Part 91 only.