Old December 14th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME[_4_]

Default EFB - Kindle/iPad

Well JEPP has released a free app for JeppView on the iPad (free if you
already have a subscription, of course). There are plenty of reviews out
there for different tablets serving as EFB's, but from what I've seen
the reviews focus on functions and navigation ease. I have not seen any
serious discussion as to which type of display really works in the
cockpit.

The bi-stable or "e-print" type of display, as in the Kindle, is like a
book. It is not backlit, and is great in full sunlight. The iPad is of
course backlit, and is useable at night, but may be hard to read in
bright daylight. In the cockpit, of course, we do both. We fly in bright
light and we fly at night. Statistically, we do more bright daylight
flying, even IFR, than night. I've never used a Kindle, but I'm guessing
at night you need to shine a light on it, just like a paper chart. My
cockpit is set up to be able to light charts at night. I have used
plenty of computers etc in the day, and it's true in bright daylight
they can be hard to see.

Anyone have opinions or experience to suggest where we're going with
this?