Old March 24th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Default Late BFR

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
I fly through an organization that requires a proficiency check ride
every six months. As a result I somehow got it into my head that I
didn't need to worry about BFR's any more. But today my instructor
reminded me that a BFR requires an hour of ground instruction, so
technically I have not completed a BFR for (as it turns out) more than
two years (though I have received considerably more recurrent in-flight
training than the regs require). My log book now contains entries for
numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this situation?
Obviously I am going to get my hour of ground instruction ASAP, but what
about all those flights that I've already logged? Should I file an ASRS
form? Call up the local FSDO and confess? Scribble out all those log
entries? Deduct the hours on those illegal flights from my PIC time?
Bribe my flight instructor to back-date my BFR? Or should I just not
worry about it and hope they don't haul my ass to Gitmo for falsifying
my log book?

You might also want to check to see if the safety meetings count as part
of the hour of ground instructions. You may only be missing the sign
offs not the work itself.