Old October 30th 03, 03:04 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Little friend takes big brother home.
From: "Brian Colwell"
Date: 10/29/03 6:54 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
The recent thread on "most beautiful things" has brought back many

memories. We
were flying a maximum effort (56 Marauders) heading East into Germany We

were
in the number two slot in the high flight flying deputy lead. Way in the
distance I saw a tiny spot coming toward us As it came closer I saw it was

single B-17. When it came even closer I saw that it had one engine shut

down
and the prop feathered. Another engine smoking but operational. And

above and
to one side of the B-17 was a lone P-51 flying top cover taking the

wounded
B-17 home. I got a bit choked up and wanted to applaud but knew no one

would
hear me. As the B-17 passed us I examined it as best I could. I saw no

gunners
in the waist window or anywhere else. Had they bailed out? Were they dead

or
wounded? Had the pilot bailed the whole crew out and was taking the B-17

home
alone? When we got back to base I went to the A-2 guys and asked about

that
B-17. But as usual A-2 officers only ask questions they never answer them.

I've
thought of that B-17 and that P-51 every now and again over rhe past 60

years
and wonder if they ever made it home. I guess I'll never know, but that

first
sight if the lone B-17 and that lone P-51 covering is a sight I never

will
forget. I still get choked up thinking about it.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Thanks Art, For sharing that experience with us, I can appreciate the impact
it must have on you.

Regards, BMC

Right to this day Brian I still wonder what happened to those guys in that
limping B-17. I will never really know but I always like to think they made it.
and over the years I imagined that I was in a bar and met a guy about my age.
We got to talking about the war and it turned out he was one of the guys in
that B-17. Imagination and fond wishes go together. (sigh)