Old July 21st 04, 05:41 PM
Mike Rapoport

Turbulence is gusts which change the airspeed. I recall reading one account
of a thunderstorm accident where the plane encountered a 80kt vertical gust.
In the Sierra Wave Project loads of +16G and -20G were encountered in a
rotor cloud at below Va..

I think it should be understood that these are extreme examples i.e. flying
into the worst part of the worst thunderstorm at the worst time. A one in a
million event. The usual breakup story is loss of control followed by an
overspeed were the pilot pulls the wings off in the recovery.

Mike
MU-2

"Peter" wrote in message

I think I understand the reasoning behind Va, the max maneuvering
speed, being that the wing will stall (and thus dispose of the
because at any given IAS a higher weight takes the aircraft closer to
stall already.

So, how is it possible to have aircraft destruction due to weather,
e.g. flying into a strong updraught in a CB, if flying below Va?

A DOWNdraught would do it more easily because most aircraft designs
have a lower design limit for negative G.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.