Old January 2nd 05, 05:45 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
vincent p. norris wrote:

Nothing, but nothing, beats a set of human eyeballs
in the location right now to report what the weather is doing.

Human eyeballs can't always be trusted, either. Returning home to a
non-towered field shortly after dark, I was told by Unicom that the
ceiling was 700 feet. But the aircraft just ahead of me reported
breaking out at minimums--200 feet. I, too, broke out at 200 feet.

The observer was at the terminal, half a mile from the end of the
runway.

vince norris

Machines are much better at precise measurements than people. I'm not
sure I could tell the difference between 200 OVC and 700 OVC by eye, and
I'm sure I couldn't between 1000 and 2000.

What humans are much better at is "big picture" observations. No human
is going to think it's overcast when it's clear because he got some bird
**** in his eye. That's the kind of mistake it takes a machine to make.