Old July 7th 09, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default XCSkies CAPE

On Jul 6, 8:24*pm, Spam wrote:
.......*This parameter only indicates the potential for thunderstorm
formation ............

Sweet! *Just what I was looking for. *Thanks for sharing that
information. *That makes sense now that I look back. *I've only had
one flight this year with thunderstorm activity in my area of flight.
Coincidently, that was the only day this year, that I have gone
soaring with a CAPE around 700...thus causing me to land out due to a
thunderstorm over the gliderport that would not let up.

I also suggest that you check out all the models. We recently had a
contest day at Parowan where RUC was predicting 700 CAPE and NAM 10.
NAM was a lot closer to actual conditions. Be suspicious if models
are very different - there may be lots of uncertainty. Incidentally,
CAPE was 3500 in Scottsdale the other day when we had storms.

Mike