Old May 21st 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Weekend in DC

"John Smith" wrote in message
In article x8WYj.173556$yE1.138161@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I ask the wisdom of the group which is the best airport to use?

We used Frederick, and enjoyed it immensely. Tour AOPA headquarters
while
you're there, and don't miss the crab cakes at the on-field restaurant!

If you want to get even closer, flying into Dulles (and the ADIZ) is
really
no big deal, and they have a very nice FBO. They've probably never seen
an
Apache before, though. (They asked me what those big Ginsu knives were
on
the front of my little airplane...)

;-)

I second Frederick.
The Metro station is several block walk or the FBO will give you a ride.
I have pros and cons for lodging outside DC and inside DC.

The Metro is very definitely the way to get around DC, and if Frederick is
still readily available to GA and also served by the Metro, it is the place
to go. BTW, I have heard that there is a map/atlas of the metro system,
which may include some local maps with sightseeing and hotel info near the
Metro stations, by Stationmasters at http://www.stationmasters.com/

BTW, and just for the benefit of the OP, the current administration are
about all that is left of the "good guys", as the "loyal opposition" are the
ones who have consistantly voted for the worst of the worst and then denied
it...

Peter