Old May 13th 10, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mike

Default Fiberglass Wing Cuff

On May 13, 11:14*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On May 13, 9:56*am, Martin Gregorie
wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:07:51 -0700, vontresc wrote:
Anyone got good advice on building a fiberglass wing cuff? I realized
last week that I really need to get rid of the metal wing stands with
sharp corners waiting to punch holes in my Ka-6 wings. So far my plan
was to mold the cuffs on the wing using west systems epoxy. The question
I have is what weight of cloth would you suggest, and how many layers
would be required.

Don't forget to put overwide carpet or felt on the wing first, then the
release film and lay up the glass over that.

IMO you could do a lot worse than give CST a call, tell them what you're
doing and ask what glasscloth/chopped strand mat, release film and epoxy
they'd recommend. They sell Pro-set, MGS and West systems epoxy.

Look at and measure wing cuffs at your local field to get a feel for how
wide the cuff needs to be and how thick you'll need to make it before you
talk to them, or any other supplier for that matter. Talk to the owners
to find out what they'd want to change if they replaced their wing cuffs.

CST are at Tehachapi:http://www.cstsales.com/

If you speak to Matt or Gail tell them I sent you. Matt is a keen model
flyer and got into selling composite materials through sourcing them to
build his competition models. They later branched out into supplying the
custom car folks and Hollywood film set builders, so they will understand
making things the size of wing cuffs.

link for glass and epoxy

http://www.uscomposites.com/

Use it for all of my sailplane misc stuff like wing and tail dollies
etc.

Good company.

--
martin@ * | Martin Gregori
gregorie. | Essex, UK

While I use the MGS epoxies for repair work, I wouldn't spend the big
bucks for it to make wing cuffs. Wayne Paul sent me a link (which I
will try to find when I get home tonight) for an outfit in Florida
that sells epoxies that are about 1/3 the price of the MGS epoxy.
They also sell the super thick/coarse glass cloth and mat that you
will want to use. *See Wayne's article on the SoarIdaho site under the
Scheder gliders section. *He constructs a tail dolly for his glider,
and many of the techniques are applicable to your (vastly simpler)
wing cuffs.