Old September 5th 03, 08:07 PM
Ray Andraka

Not if you are cleared direct. If cleared direct, you are expected to fly direct,
not via other navaids. If you can't comply, you always have the option of saying
"unable". Might help if you have an alternate plan to offer such as the other vOR
routing, or perhaps an approximate heading if you can figure that either from on
board equipment or from a chart.

jeff wrote:

ok, but wasnt there navaids that you could use to get to the point you were
cleared to?
If I am told cleared to xxx VOR which is say, 200 nm miles away, I am assuming I
am cleared to there, so to get there, I will use the navaids available in my
area. So if you was cleared direct to EMP you would use
KLVS V190 DHT V234
then expect more at EMP or close to it.
thats how I would take it, unless told otherwise, If I had questions I would
ask.

Paul Tomblin wrote:

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
to OJC, I checked in with center after takeoff, and was immediately
cleared direct EMP. Now this is 450 NM, and I had filed /A, so they
were obviously assuming I had some other navigation capability. (We did.)

That's rather poor technique. Aircraft shouldn't be cleared direct to
distant fixes unless there's some indication the pilot is capable of
navigating to the fix.

Read the start of the thread. This started off with me being cleared
direct to a navaid that even if I was within its service volume, there
were actually hills higher than my current elevation and higher than the
VOR between me and it, so there is no way in hell I could have received
it.

--
Paul Tomblin , not speaking for anybody
I read [.doc files] with "rm". All you lose is the microsoft-specific

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759