Old December 9th 05, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cost to install a canopy?

Hi Roger,

I would not bet on buying a completely new canopy from Grob, because:

1. First of all I do not think that the economy of scale holds for
glider manufacterers since the number of aircraft built is quite low.
Next to that, the canopy-glass is made by Mecaplex another company. The
glass is said to be especially difficult to make and thereofre it is
expensive.

2. Furthermore, Grob will most probably also need your fuselage when
installing a new canopy because of fit and new, or other, hinge
locations

3. Grob is not out of business as an aerospace company, but my guess is
that they haven't built gliders for over 15-20 years now. Spare-parts
come from LTB Lindner now (southern Germany).

I am very sorry for you, but I have to agree with the posts above.
Replacing your canopy will not be cheap. But if you have just one clean
crack or a piece that has come out then I would suggest to glue it
back, although making that pretty is not at all easy

Kind regards

Diederick Joosten
The Netherlands