Old February 13th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default HID Landing Light

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

I'm considering upgrading from a 50W Halogen lamp, and understand that I
should get ~2x the lumens from a 30W HID. This light has a 12 degree
beam angle and the housing is 2 3/4" in diameter. Their floodlight (in
the same housing) has a 36 degree beam angle.

If going into a homebuilt, why don't you consider going to an auto salvage
yard, and having a look around? There are many cars, and have been many
for about the past 3 years, that are equipped with HID's, and would put
out a lot more than this pint sized motorcycle head and handle bar lamp.
Read "magnitudes" more.

I'm not sure about that.. This is a 30W lamp, and most auto headlights are
35W. You can buy aftermarket auto stuff that is 50W, but that's about the
limit.

One of the issues I've always *thought* existed with stuff pulled from an
auto is that you may also need to use the headlight lens that came with the
car, because the lights themselves only include a reflector, bulb, and
ballast, but not an optic. I think a Lexus (tm) headlight lens assembly
would look pretty unusual on my RV-6. ;-)

The advantage of this kit (seemingly) is that it has all the optics included
and it is small enough to fit into the existing landing light mount with
minor modifications.

KB

I would think that the selection and price would be pretty good, by now.
Also, many have lenses that could be spaced at different lengths away from
the light source, for an adjustable focal length. That sounds like a very
good option, to me.
--
Jim in NC