Old December 21st 16, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default How to get maximum height on a winch launch?

At 21:19 21 December 2016,
wrote:
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 6:01:50 AM UTC-7,

Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 16:59:34 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
=20
=20
If you know how to fly you can have exactly the airspeed you

want all
th=
e way up the launch. =20

The winch does not and, in fact, cannot control glider

airspeed. The
pi=
lot is the only one who can do that. The winch merely controls

power
(thin=
k thrust). It works exactly as with airplanes, pitch controls

airspeed
and=
power (thrust) controls rate of climb. The pilot merely adjusts

pitch
att=
itude as necessary to maintain the desired airspeed.

Reduce winch power and the rate of climb (angle) decreases

but the
airsp=
eed is unchanged. Reduce it all the way to zero and the glider is

left in
=
a glide at the desired airspeed. Increase power and the rate of

climb
(ang=
le) increases but the airspeed stays the same. Increase it too

much and
th=
e weak link breaks - at exactly the desired airspeed - or the glider

runs
o=
ut of up elevator and the pilot must then ask for less power.

It's really very simple.

=20
Hi Bill,
=20
unfortunately it's not that simple. Your description does not

even
remotely match the experiences I made I made in the last

couple of
thousand winch launches.
=20
Best regards
Andreas

It is just that simple and it PRECISELY matches my experiences in

my last
c=
ouple of thousand launches.

Well Bill, we will have to differ because it certainly does not match
my experience in the last 10,000 launches. Both the MVG and
Skylaunch winch will exceed the max winch launch speed easily
whatever you do in the cockpit, except of course yawing to tell the
winch driver he is applying too much grunt.
If you think winch launching is simple it is going to bite you one
day.