Old December 10th 19, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default 15 Hour Wonders

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 2:38:16 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 9:10:47 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
I recall there was a fatal accident in Hawaii a decade ago or so with a very low time, young instructor who was only flying for few weeks. Very little experience but met the minimum the FAA requires. IIRC he did not manage to recover from a spin.
I don’t have a link but I am sure one can search for it in the NTSB site.

Ramy

Here is what you are referring to:

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=LA

The SSA also made the statement that the pilot in question had been given a quick path to his rating. The NTSB noted lack of experience and inadequate training. This is exactly the message conveyed in the original post, 15 hour wonder. The standards are set to a minimum, which IMHO results in low experience instructors not capable of teaching proper techniques.