Old May 31st 05, 01:47 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Judah" wrote in message
. ..

Getting IMC exposure is not the problem.

Do you believe it is responsible to take a 32-hour, non-soloed student
pilot into weather that is BELOW IFR MINIMUMS?

I have a friend who's a lapsed student pilot (I don't recall if he's
soloed yet). He'd like to come along sometime when I shoot approaches in
LIFR, so he can see what it's like. (I'm not an instructor.) I don't think
it'd be irresponsible to take him along. Do you?

--Gary

What you are proposing is totally different from what I understand happened
at HPN. Flying LIFR with a passenger is OK whether the passenger is a
student pilot, astronaut, or garden varierty human. This is totally
different from either flying an approach from the right seat with no copilot
instruments or letting a student pilot fly the approach and you trying to
save it from the right seat (with no copilot instuments). I'm an ATP with
1500hrs in an airplane with full CAT II ILS equipment and I would not let a
student pilot fly it to 200 and a half. How much can you let him get off
centerline or GS before you take it away from him? If you do take it away,
how out of trim is he? Learning is incremental and a pre-solo student pilot
is not going to learn much from trying to fly a low approach. An instrument
student might learn something.

Mike
MU-2