Old September 1st 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default IDAHO FATALITY

Twenty-six years ago, when I started gliding, it was the Schweizer 2-33 and
the Lark IS-28B2. None of the instructors where I learned flew cross
country, they just instructed over the local area. I had a friend lead me
around farther and farther from the airport until I gained the confidence to
head out on my own. DG1000? Not invented yet!

I have seen Blaniks doing routine low passes with paying passengers on
board. I won't mention the operation where this is done...

"Bruce Hoult" wrote in message
On Aug 31, 4:13 pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
Most practicing instructors I've known don't know how to safely do a low
pass (or fly or teach cross country, for that matter). Not intending to
cast aspersions on any instructors, just relating my personal experience
in
learning to fly gliders... Cross country (and other bad habits) I learned
by watching, listening, following, asking questions, reading, etc. There
was nobody qualified to teach me.

What kind of glider are they training in?

We do rides and initial training here in a pair of DG1000s. Before
that we used two Grob Twin Astirs (and a Janus) for about a dozen
years, and before that Blaniks. All were capable of cross country
training, though of course the later ones are better...

I don't think you'd want to try a low pass in the Blanik. The Vne is
plenty high, but you'd lose speed very quickly.