Old April 8th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Electronic Airport Facility Directories ("A/FDs")

On 2006-04-08, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 23:38:14 GMT, Justin Gombos
wrote in GJCZf.872$Fp4.847@trnddc01::

I don't think Airnav gets the information from DOT - I think they get
it from the FAA.

Isn't that like saying cars aren't manufactured by General Motors;
they come from Chevrolet and Buick? While strictly true, it fails
to draw a revenant distinction. Or am I missing your point?

The issue there is that the AFD is a compilation of information from
different sources, one of which is the FAA. Moreover, even if we
could assume that the DOTs sole source of information were available
digitally the FAA, the FAAs digital products are not necessarily in a
format that's readily useable.

Information slips through the cracks as a result of this arrangement.
For example, you won't find hours of operation for control towers on
the myafd.com pages.

It's wasteful as well as error prone to have multiple organizations
repeating the work of the DOT.

--
PM instructions: do a C4esar Ciph3r on my address; retain punctuation.