Old June 20th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

Default PHIL BOYER: 40% OF AOPA MEMBERS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASINGTHEIR FLYING DUE TO FUEL PRICES

Larry Dighera wrote:

But we are soon going to be impacted by the increased
cost of getting goods to market, and the price inflation it will
cause. Unless we turn away from petroleum for our energy needs, the
threat will only grow.

".. we are soon going to be impacted by increased cost..."? We already
are now Larry, where have you been the last few months. People have lost
their jobs, businesses have failed.... If you are reading this newsgroup
I would *assume* you now that general aviation is suffering badly. I
know you haven't noticed, but we already have changed the way we live
our lives in many ways. Obviously you are unaffected by all this and
hence can afford to be so narrow minded.

The simple fact is that we will always need petroleum in one form or
another for many more years, albeit not in the same percentage of GDP
that we have had in the past.

You, and others like you seem to think that the United States can simply
'cold turkey' our way out of needing *any* petroleum, that is naive.
Petroleum is used in everything from fertilizers to life saving medical
supplies, not just fuel. While we are (and have) reduced out use of it
considerably, it will an important part of our economy for many years
to come and unless we put in place the means by which we can reliably
obtain it quickly we impacting our national security way of life.

Too bad people like you can't grasp this concept or we wouldn't be
wasting time, bandwidth, jobs or wealth arguing about a problem instead
of actually solving it.