Old August 11th 04, 09:32 PM
Robert M. Gary

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
On 10 Aug 2004 11:11:24 -0500, Todd Pattist
wrote:

If you fly a Piper Cub, you will sooner or later (probably sooner)
find yourself in a position where you either prop the engine without
someone at the controls, or you take up residence in another
community. Not many airports will have someone available to help with
this project.

Tying down the tail sounds great, but have you ever walked from the
tail to the door with the motor running? It's miles and miles, and you
never felt so vulnerable!

Its actually not too bad. The reason to tie the plane down good is
because you can never tell how fast the engine will run when you start
it. It depends greatly on the current conditions. You tie the tail so
the plane doesn't jump the chocks after you prop it. However, once you
have started the plane you set the throttle to a nice RPM and can
untie the tail and walk back up with your hand on the plane. A few
times the Cub or Aerona has wanted to move forward on me but it can't
go far with my hand on it. Its not pulling that hard because I've set
the throttle. The dangerous time is really just before you start the
engine and don't know how strong the engine is going to come on. Also,
in both the J-3 and the 11AC and 7AC you can easily pull the door side
chock as you hop in without having to let go of the strut.

-Robert