Old January 4th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Default Downdraft at 12,000 feet

"Stefan" wrote in message
. ..
James Robinson schrieb:

Can somebody explain what he did right/wrong?

His mistake was to go there in the first place.

I've been taught an iron rule: Never ever fly on top of a closed cloud
layer over mountains in a light single. Because if you hit downdraft over
mountains, you will *not* be able to hold altitude. With a closed layer
this means that you will find yourself between mountains in the soup.
(Which means that most probably you won't be able to tell anybody about it
afterwards).

A closed layer over mountains is a definitve no-go situation for a light
single, unless you like to gamble.

For the same reason, I would think the same would apply for a light twin.

Danny Deger