Old July 10th 03, 01:32 AM
John Halliwell

Default KC-767 vs Re-Mod DC-10's

In article , CFA3
writes
My guess, (taken for what it's worth), is that we could refurbish and
convert those 10's at something of the order of 1/3 the cost of new
767's. Not to mention the commonality issue that would be maintained
with the original KC-10 fleet.

I know that Fed-Ex, years ago had a program of their own in which they
turned a yit load of passenger 10's to cargo, when they couldn't buy
anymore MD-11's. McDD/Boeing does have the engineering work for that
complete. Obviously there would be additional work to do, but I
suspect it wouldn't be that bad. And, I have to think I'm not the
first one to think of this. McDD/Boeing may have drawings already, for
just such a project.

By the sound of it, the KC-767 deal is very important to Boeing because
it allows them to keep the 767 line running, without the deal they might
have to stop it. On that basis it makes no sense to them to save tax
payers money by converting different aircraft for the role.

--
John