Old March 10th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Cessna 177 vs Commander 112

"Paul" wrote in message
I'm looking for one of the airplane.

1. What are the pros and cons ?

2. What's the meaning of this post concerning the Commander: "The only
downfall is I was looking through the TC & there is mention of a limited
life of the wing structure." ?

Thank you

Paul

I've compared those two in the past and my belief (having never flown
either) is that the fixed gear 180 hp Cessna will give up 10-15 knots in
cruise speed and some cabin room, but it will have far lower ownership
costs. Less fuel, less insurance, less maintenance, etc. If I was buying
one today, I'd go Cessna.

The wing life span issue on the Commander has to do with the more modern
regulations it was certified under. I believe the modern rules (and the
Commander was the first aircraft certified under those rules) dictate a
service life limit. I know my old Tomahawk had a 12,000 hour limit on the
wing. There are STC's on the market today to extend the Tomahawk's wing
life. Dunno about the Commander.

KB