Old July 14th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default OSH Sleeping

On Jul 13, 6:23*pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Actually, I've found the key is to buy a good tent. A $79 Wal-mart special
doesn't seem like such a good deal when you end up pouring it out following
a t-storm. *Yes, I've seen it done. *I particularly remember the second time
I took my wife Kelly to Osh. *There were monsterous T-storms one night.
Strong enough winds to cause me to consider whether my neighbor's airplanes
were properly secured. *Lots of rain.

As an assistant scoutmaster I might disagree. As you pay more for a
tent what you get is lighter weight. However, for non-backpacking
trips I still use the Walmart tent I bought 10 years ago. I've spend
probably 100 rainy nights (we usually camp in the Sierras under the
TSs) dry in it. The trick for any tent is to seal it every year. Get
some seam sealant and cover all the seams and then scotchguard the
entire thing (I use several bottles). I also replace the zippers every
once-in-awhile on any tent. There is nothing worse than running for
your tent in the rain, grabbing the zipper, and having it break in
your hand and you get wet. Anyplace that does industrial sewing should
be able to replace your tent and sleeping bag zippers for you. I
replace mine in all my gear every 2 years; its not very expensive to
do. If you want to spend big bucks spend it on your bag rather than
your tent in my opinion. Also, always use a good thermal layer under
your bag. An air mat is probably the worst (just helps you get cold);
a therma-rest is about the best. We camp sub-zero several times a year
without problems just using good pads.

-Robert