Old April 17th 19, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 3:51:44 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Overshoots are more likely in small field landouts. Undershoots are more likely in airports due to low patterns.

Ramy

Unless you are flying an AS-W12. I heard a story from a very well know pilot that he had been given the advice on slipping the 12 to landing of "don't take it out of the slip early, as it will float forever. It will even float further than you think it might if you take it out of the slip when you are afraid of spearing the wingtip into the ground." So, he slipped for all he was worth, took it back to straight, and landed short of the runway!

But in general, yes. I have seen people fly low patterns far more often than I have seen someone land long. And I have seen people be praised after a low pattern, never touching the dive brakes, and floating in ground effect for an incredible distance to make it to the desired stopping place.

Steve Leonard