Old October 17th 05, 05:20 PM
Jim Burns

Default Update - Fat Albert

I've got one that sounds just like yours on the left engine of our Aztec.
It drives me crazy. At our last annual, we thought it was a mag gasket, so
we changed the gasket, no luck. I've checked all the case bolts and they
are snug. Repeatedly cleaned the engine, flown it, re-checked, and simply
can't find it. Presently, I'm thinking it is an oil return line under the
#1 cylinder. There is a drop that tends to hang under it, but like yours,
it's hard to figure out where it's comeing from. I need to get a new hose
clamp on it, just to be sure, but it is almost impossible to reach without
removeing the entire bottom cowling.

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, Sunday morning I got back to the airport, hung that remaining hose,
flew the plane (cool day) and so far no oil leak (jury still out at
this point)... But at least the engine compartment looks good with all
the scrubbing and the flashy new hoses..

Great story, Denny. Hope it works out for you.

I've had a minor oil drip for months, and it's been driving me NUTS.
Nothing seems to be leaking, everything is tight, yet after a couple of
flights the bottom of the engine is oily.

It's been impossible to locate the source, since the airflow just blows
it all over the friggin' place, evenly coating the underside of the
engine with an oily sheen. (At least we know we'll never have to worry
about corrosion...) Even though we all know that a little oil looks
like a LOT Of oil, it's still the kind of thing that bugs you when you
open the hangar door and find a drip on the floor.

The greybeards at the airport think I'm just stupidly anal ("Hell, if
ain't drippin', it ain't an airplane!") -- but I believe in finding the
root cause BEFORE it becomes a problem.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA