Old August 6th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default more rudder to the right????

At my local FBO I overheard an old time, and quite accomplished, pilot
discussing spins and saying that small piston airplanes have "more
rudder to the right". I vaguely seem to recall reading that rudders
are designed to create more "lift" to the left, when viewed from
above, to compensate for the spiraling slipstream. Is this correct?
Is there any other reason a plane would have more rudder to the left?
Wouldn't that then allow it to spin faster to the right, because the
rudder is assisting the faster (outside) wing?

tks