Old March 23rd 05, 07:57 PM
oldal4865

Jay Honeck wrote in message ...
.. . .
Here are the facts: BP is 155/85. Weight: 197. Height: 6'. Exercise: 30
minutes every day. Family has a history of strokes and high blood

pressure.

The good doctor says the elevated BP isn't being caused by my weight, which
isn't too far out of line for a 46 year old guy. (Although losing 15

pounds
would certainly help.) He has prescribed Vasotec for me, which *is* on

the
AOPA's list of FAA approved medications, thankfully.

For those who have already been down this road, did this medication cause
any side effects? The doc says the most common one is a nagging cough, for
no known reason.

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Vasotec is an ACE inhibitor. Persistent cough is a side effect of all
members of the ACE family. ARB are just as effective, don't have any
major side effects, but are more expensive.

Creeping b.p. is a sign of approaching diabetes and/or hidden high Insulin
Resistance. If your triglycerides/HDL ratio is 3.0 or higher, you
need some really good medical advice ASAP.

FWIW, ACE have marked beneficial effects on Type 2 Diabetics.

Umm. . .IMO, 155/85 is "waiting too long".

Regards
Old Al