Old January 21st 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them?

On Jan 20, 2:16*pm, Bob D wrote:
I think that the idea is well-intentioned but ill-conceived. Others
have already pointed out that BRS totals the aircraft in most
deployments, usually results in injuries to the occupants, and is
otherwise very far from being a panacea.

To me the key issue and logic for BRS is: a low altitude mid-air
collision where getting out and deploying your chute is going to be
dicey at best. Like in the traffic pattern or near the pattern which
is where most collisions occur.

Best example of a BRS being worth it at low altitude:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVxp_gyTcI

Considering how light our gliders are--I think it's worth having--but
not mandatory.

Bob
GE2

But I don't believe that near the pattern is where most glider
collisions occur-- I believe the major risk happens in thermals and
when entering/exiting thermals. And I don't say that lightly, as we
lost two pilots in Northern California in a collision between a glider
and towplane in the pattern not too long ago.

The issue is BRS is pretty invasive to install its a large package to
fit into a small space. My motorglider has *no* room for a BRS and I
see not practical way of adding room.

Its not an endless list of thigns we could/should have all of saftey
related technologies involve tradeoffs, effectiveness, cost,
complexity, reliability, weight, space, ... There are other saftey
technologies (like effective use of VHF radio and beyond that also
adding PowerFLARM, transponders (in appropriate areas), etc) that I
would much rather see people invest their money in than a BRS. If you
do all that then maybe look at a BRS. And I would be horrified to see
attempts at mandating or even pushing BRS and its potential to take
away money that would potentially be used to purchase VHF radios,
PowerFLARM, transponders etc. I assume everybody out there is wearing
a personal parachute, and if your are not its your life, but at least
using a radio effectively and a PowerFLARM can help save other lives
not just your own.

And possibly the best saftey investment pilots can make in the next
few months is... (you all thought I was going to say a PowerFLARM
right...) is a spring checkout with an instructor. Should we mandate
those? :-)

Darryl