Old August 11th 05, 11:59 AM
Peter Clark

On 11 Aug 2005 00:11:51 -0700, "Brien K. Meehan"
wrote:

Michelle P wrote:
In talking to another pilot who has an 172 L has states that his manual
says if 10 degrees flaps are used it will decrease ground roll and
decrease climb rate. Having an overall detrimental affect.

I have a 172S manual It's my understanding that, in terms of flaps and
related performance, all models after L are exactly the same.

The newest (G1000) 172S manuals and checklist (and factory transition
training) say 0-10deg is approved, but 10deg is preferred to flaps up
in all conditions due to the decreased ground roll and increased climb
performance, and specifically called for when doing soft/rough field.