Old April 16th 04, 02:34 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"SeeAndAvoid" wrote in message
link.net...

I havent read every approach chart, yet, but I think every one I've
read has a note about whether the procedure is approved or
not without the local altimeter or one from a designated nearb
airport.
"When local altimeter not received, procedure not authorized"
or
"Obtain Local altimeter setting on CTAF; when not received
use XXX altimeter setting"
At one of our tower controlled airports, there is no AWOS/ASOS,
just an ATIS, and when the tower closes it's just a looped recording
until they reopen. But we get the weather hourly in our computer,
so we have to issue it for a/c heading there.
Just glancing through the SW-1 book, I cant find any airports that
dont have some kind of weather reporting, or a note about alternate
weather or saying procedure not authorized.
Then again, AWOS/ASOS's can fail, and there'd be an airport
with an SIAP without weather reporting.
As always it all comes down to the pilot.

In other words, you cannot do what you said you're required to do.