Old June 11th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

Default EAA plans major building expansion?

I've been attending EAA since the early seventies. I can remember
parking at the base of the now "old" control tower watching the show
from the roof of the car. Yes, AirVenture is probably the best in all
areas...especially cleanliness.

EAA has experienced lows and highs over the course of time I've been
attending. The recent changes were done to make the event more
appealing to a broader attendance base. In slow years, the attendance
showed that more non-traditional attendees were needed. So, the
format, attractions and marketing strategies changed accordingly. I
understand the logic behind having exhibitors such as Ford there for
economic support but it did change the flavor somewhat.

During years where there isn't a "big ticket" appearance such as the
Concorde, Harrier or Warbirds (big show) attendance suffered. If it
doesn't go fast, shoot or drop bombs many don't care. Unlike the core
of EAA's members who appreciate all aspects of aerospace and aviation.
Having the "teams" appear such as the Snowbirds did draws a huge
amount of spectators who normally wouldn't attend. Their attendance
means revenue for not only EAA but the community.

Sure one could travel to Milwaukee to see the Thunderbirds, but there
are those who don't want to venture into the heart of a large
unfamiliar city with all of its nuances. Places like Oshkosh are more
accessible and less intimidating.

With any entertainment venue, Packers, Brewers, Concerts...what
ever...spectators want as much bang for their buck as they can get,
especially in these tight economic times. The economic impact of a
community which hosts a large event...such as an airshow that features
a major attraction, suffers when the main attraction fails to show up
or perform. Disappointed spectators take their money home with them.
They also give deep consideration to return again. Human nature.

Is AirVenture perfect...no. Is there room for improvement...yes. Will
I continue to support EAA...yes as long as they continue to listen to
the membership and strive to improve, thus thrive.

See ya at AirVenture...I'm the one with the strange hat, T-Shirt with
an airplane on the back, shorts with lots of pockets, two cameras
around my neck, scanner to my ear, lawn chair under my arm and a smile
on my face!