Old July 22nd 03, 04:40 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Jim" wrote:

:
: :And, really, do you think the US Constitution does *not*
: :apply on an American base?
:
: That's right. It does not.
:
: :Good luck to you now should you ever be posted
: :there.
:
: Been there. Done that. It was irrelevant in any case, since the US
: Constitution also does not apply to military personnel, wherever they
: might be.
:
: :Has that question reached the Supreme Court?
:
: Years ago. It was already decided.
:
:Not to split hairs,
:but the Military courts finial appeal is with the U.S. Supreme court,

True, and that is the very body which has held that the rights
guaranteed to US citizens in the Constitution do not apply to military
personnel.

:and
:while some
:tennents of the Constitution are somewhat curtailed, I think it is a very
:Big Strech to say the U.S. Constitiuation
:does not apply to US service members.

The Constitution is not a 'you get part of it' deal. Either it
applies or it does not. There was a decision (sometime in the early
1970's, I think - don't have a cite handy for that one) which
essentially held that the United States military, due to the
exigencies of military service, was a separate society and that the
rights of its members were only those guaranteed in the UCMJ and those
from the Constitution did not apply.

--
"We come into the world and take our chances.
Fate is just the weight of circumstances.