Old July 18th 05, 08:04 PM
Chris Reed

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Robert Backer wrote:

I owned a 17 for about 10 years. I can tell you from personal
experience that the 17 is very easy to rig IF you have a good system
and appropriate rigging aids.

Which is true of any big wing glider, including the LAK-12...

Marc

Hear Hear! Also true of my Open Cirrus (only 17.7m, but with *huge*
spars tested to 15g by the German LBA without breaking them).

It takes one minute of handling per wing to get it onto trestles
(maximum). Then a further minute to line everything up (no lifting
here), at which point it all slides into place. No-one runs away when
I'm rigging.

I can't believe that even 15m pilots don't have two wing stands - some
don't even have one!

A simple dolly to take the wing root while you're swinging the wing
round means that I don't have to lift the heavy end for more than 10
seconds at a time.

By the way, aluminium step ladders with a piece of pipe insulation taped
to the top hoop make excellent, light and stable stands for very little
money.

This lot can't cost more than 50 bucks max, plus a couple of hours to
make the dolly.