Old November 18th 05, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ease of attaching and detaching

Andy wrote:
The words I use are "rig" and "derig". From personal experience, and
observation of others, I'd say that gliders with spar tip pins that
mate in the other wing root are harder to rig than gliders that use 2
load bearing main spar pins.

Interesting. My experience has been just the opposite. It may be
initially easier to insert wings that take two pins, but you still have
to get everything lined up so you can insert the pins. By contrast, my
Discus slips right together (most of the time), and then all you have to
do is insert the one pin. It helps that the opening in the fuselage on
the spar tip side has a relatively small opening, so if you hit this
hole the spar tip pin should slip right into the other wing.

Other actors are wing weight, quality of
rigging aids, your experience, and the experience of your helper if you
use one.

You can learn to rig any glider and I don't think this should be a
major factor in making a selection.

Andy