Old November 24th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default Skycatcher IFR?

On 2007-11-23 03:26:51 -0800, B A R R Y said:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:51:13 GMT, "Mike Isaksen"
wrote:

Matt Whiting said:
Does anyone know if the Skycatcher will be IFR certified? It doesn't
appear to be from what little I've found at the Cessna web site.

The Cessna rep at the recent Hartford Expo claimed the Skycather will be VFR
day and nite authorized per the ASTM standard (it will obviously exceed the
Part 91 minimum requirements), so it can be used as both a SP and primary
PPL line trainer. He said that it will NOT be authorized for flight into
IMC, even when the ASTM finalizes their IFR operations consensus standard.

FWIW, I know of a flight school that passed on DA-20's for PPL
training, due to the lack of basic IFR ability.

The school owner explained to me that they wanted basic IFR capability
in case the instructor needed to fly the airplane back to base in IFR
after changing weather conditions.

Well, that would certainly be a possibility around here. I have had to
fly back IFR several times.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor