Old June 17th 04, 07:01 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Brian,

I appreciate your first hand knowledge, but you need more info. 406
MHz ELTs broadcast both 406 and 121.5. So I'll grant you some
confusion. Now go back and read my post and the links more carefully.
A 121.5 MHz ELT is anonymous. Peter's was registered and according to
John Good's commentary, confirmed as Peter by the Air Force. There are
many, many other reasons a 406 is better than a single band 121.5
unit. But I'll leave it you to search these out, as I've suggested
every pilot should.

I agree with just about every opinion you've offered. But if we agree
that an ELT is important, let's choose a good one. The best technology
and regulations currently offer. Perhaps, in a better world, you'd
have spotted the wreckage from the air and had hard facts to present
to a narrow minded bureuacrat. I'm not sure I've had borne that
frustration well, either heading off for a stealth search or finding
myself in jail depending on which won out, my head or my heart. I now
understand John Good's references to official incompetence.