Old September 7th 03, 03:19 AM
Tarver Engineering

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

The drive to lower cost, presumably through technology, would result

in
fewer controller positions.

Theoretically, but how can you lower cost while you are trying to

invent and
implement technology to replace human beings? Those of us on the

inside
know that "technology" isn't forthcoming that is going to replace us.

What
"technology?"

The same technology airplanes use now, Chip.

What technology? TCAS? ADS-B? No cognitive ground-based dynamic human
being as referee? And all that in the next ten years? Are you kidding?

Do
you fly?

I am an electrical engineer, chip.

How about we start with enabling mode-S inside ATC and some weather
information.

The airborn portion of the
system is some of the most advanced technology in the world and the

other is
trapped in the 1950's.

The other is trapped by the amount of concrete available at the

destination
airport. No matter how many airplanes you cram in the big sky, they have

line up to land.

Concrete won't pour, in the current political envronment. (Green) We can
get 10 to 15% more capacity with automation and eliminate many weather
delays/cancellations, with information free from NOAH.

The US has already agreed to go to 8.33 com chaneling in 2010, for
sdstandardization with Europe. Some sort of data link capability could be
part of the radio operators will have to buy anyway. Austrailia used
internet technology to kick US ATC out of that business. Most of these
pilots can operate a palm pilot and so free flight might be enabled rather
easily.

Costs will be lowered by reducing ATC induced delays and cancellations.

LOL, sure it will. I'm sure all of those nice airline CEO's will be

saying
"After you sir", "No, after YOU sir", "No, let's let that nice Learjet

make his
approach first..."

Airlines are where the money is and you know what is driving the change, as
well as I do.