Old October 7th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Coordinated turns and the little ball

Neil Gould writes:

All of this depends on what you're doing at the time. One can slip fairly
drastically -- with the ball pretty far off center -- without much of a
physical sensation. OTOH, one can pin the passenger against the wall with
the same amount of slip.

What distinguishes the two types of slip?

How dangerous any of this is also depends on what
you're doing at the time. If you're careless and go into a stall, then
it's possible that you'll wind up in a spin, which if you're close to the
ground can kill you. The bottom line is that if the pilot is in control of
the aircraft, all of this can be quite safe and routine.

The rudder is controlled in my sim by twisting the stick (not very
realistic, but inexpensive), and it's difficult to keep the ball
centered that way. I'm slowly getting better at it, though.