View Single Post
Old December 7th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Friday, December 7, 2012 3:32:54 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
In article , "Sean F (F2)" wrote: Up to 41 petition signatures... I wonder, at what point does the number of people signing the petition (what percentage do you think wont sign because they are worried about public debate, etc) become compelling to our representatives? I am a signer of the petition, own a club class glider (h301 Libelle), and often fly club/sports contests, including a couple of nationals. I should say as well, that I have no U.S. Team aspirations (I could maybe admit to fleeting fantasies), so I do not have as much at stake as some here. For me, it's just about fun. Guy alluded to the "spirit" of the FAI rules. That, not the "letter" of the FAI rules, is where we should go. Keeping a little pressure on the racing committee towards this goal is good and the petition is an excellent way to do that. However,there is a fine line between keeping an issue in front of someone and beating them over the head with it. Knowing, or at least acquainted, with most of the racing committee, I think that in they are paying attention and do find the petition compelling. I chafe at the slow and incremental pace of progress towards an FAI type club class in the U.S., but at the same time, I can understand the committee taking a conservative stance on change. The status quo ain't great, but we could do much worse. "Unintended Consequences" do occur. Consider that the committee is at least heading in the right direction. --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

I've stayed away from the conversation for a while to see what develops and try to get a sense of the driving issue(s) in this "debate"- maybe not the best word.
Drivers- as well as I can tell from RAS comments and exchanges with some of the more passionate Club folks.
1- I think this is #1- We want to fly assigned tasks because it feels more like a race.
2- No MAT's
3- Same gliders as they race "in the rest of the world". "We can't let a 2-33 spoil our race".
4- Underlying- we want to practice for the world championship.
5- We think the other guys(those flying under the predominately Eurocentric rules) do it better.
6- It's "simpler", "safer", and "more fun". Who wouldn't want that?

I discussed with a couple serious Club guys some options the RC thinks could get us to a workable compromise.
Before describing those, the RC's major cornerstone points:'
1- Nobody goes home.
2- Closely compatible with US rules and procedures so pilots coming up from regionals don't have big changes and so Club can practically and safely be run concurrently with Sports(Modern Sports).

What we have discussed "off line":
1- AT is in for Club. That is in the plan.
2- MAT stays-Calm down guys! What we have asked is why a "long MAT" that is one that has all possible legs defined such that the fast guys/gliders will finish somewhat overtime, but the slower pilots/gliders can drop off and come home when time runs out. Effectively this is an AT but with a way to allow participation of slower pilots/gliders to not have to land out, while still fully challanging the top pilots.
When I proposed this compromise position, the conversation pretty well stopped.
It would be easy and workable to provide guidance in Club that does not use options like 1 turn MAT's (effectively the old POST).
3- Allowing lower performance gliders is important from a practical point of view. The 2-33 scare is just that. But why not let Sparrowhawks and such come play?
Task guidance that makes tasking set based upon the Club range with fair warning to that effect to others can work to allow these folks to come yet make the class predominately Club oriented. When long MAT is used for the AT's, everyone is accomodated.
4. The US RC emphasizes making the best contest experience for all, understanding that this may mean compromising preparation for the 30 or so that are US team players.
5. This is a subjective point where many folks will differ. In the US, we have made a number of innovations in areas like starts, finishes, airport bonus, safety finish, etc. thatwe strongly believe are better and safer than the other guys.
6. I've commented on this sub topic previously.

My sense is that a very few Club pilots are really hard over on this and that
many others much less so.
It would be good to hear from some new voices. We know where HA stands.
Still listening
UH