Old February 24th 05, 07:50 PM
Stefan

Artur Rutkowski wrote:

Is here anybody who has experience with Socata Rally 235 as tow-plane?
Have you been flying this plane as tow-plane or being towed behind? What
are pros and cons? How does this plane look in comparison to competitors
like Pawnee, Maule, Husky, Wilga, Robin and so on.

We have a 180 hp Rallye and a 180 hp Husky. The Husky climbs somewhat
better, but the Rallye can be descended faster, so the net effect over
the whole tow cancels more or less.

This said: The tendency goes clearly towards towiing with the new high
tech ultralights. We did the comparison and found that a Remos G-3 with
100 hp tows as well as a Husky with 180 hp. Yes, even two seaters. (The
pictures at http://www.ecolight.ch/NewFiles/schlepp3_d.html show the
situation at the end of a 600 meter grass strip, which slopes slightly
upwards for the first 250 meters and was rather soft that day.) And I
seem to recall that Poland usually has large airfields and isn't
particularly blessed with mountains. The tow may take a minute or two
more, but is still much cheaper. And the neighbours will love it!

Stefan