Old November 10th 05, 02:15 AM
Robert Coffey

Default Avionics (Radio Problem) Narrowed Down... I Think???

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Robet Coffey wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

In what part of the world? I've been an EE for 20 years and I've
never heard of a device called a relay switch. Maybe it is common
somewhere in the world, but not in the USA.

Matt I doubt many EE would call it a relay switch. I live in the
southeast (coalfields) and have heard non-technical people (myself
included) use the term "relay" and "relay switch" interchangeably most
of my life. Incorrectly so, I take it. I don't know where the poster
is from so I can't speak for him/her. I do want to stress that I am
layperson in electronics and have heard the term only used by like
persons.

I've got less years than Jim but more than Matt in the gulf states
oilfield onshore/offshore (Texas to Florida and the Caribbean) as a
tech. This was the first time I've heard the term "relay switch" by even
"non-technical people"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...y+switch&go=Go
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=relay%20switch
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/relay%20switch

It could be slang, but I'm not making it up. Google search actually
turned up a few.
http://www.nema.org/prod/be/enclosur.../relay-switch/
http://www.extensivemods.com/modules...howpage&pid=74 - 16k -
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3126.htm
and here are some harvard doods that designs them:

Optimal Design of a MEMS Relay Switch
Authors: M.P. Brenner, J. Lang, J. Li, J. Qiu and A. Slocum
Affilation: Harvard University, USA
Pages: 214 - 217

They are for microelectromechanical devices, so I guess it's used (by
us)a little out of context.