Old July 9th 03, 10:26 PM
Richard Lamb

Uh, Keith, did you actually read the stuff at the site that
Hal pointed out?

They are not talking about cast iron junk.

Keith Olivier wrote:

What the sceptic doesn't tell you (or know ??) is that in Europe many of the
high quality cars have air gap insulated fabricated (tubular) manifolds (not
the cast iron stuff like the US manufacturers use). It is possible to make
the components durable by good design and using good quality materials. But
you can't take junk (mild steel) and a crap design that cannot deal with
uneven thermal expansion and then wave some magic wand to make it super
durable.

Considering how expensive aircraft equipment generally is, there is no
reason why the best materials shouldn't be used with a fair number of
bellows couplings at about $15 a throw to produce a system that it totally
insensitive to thermal expansion and oxidation effects. Then wrap the whole
caboodle in an insulating wrap to protect all the other heat sensitive stuff
in the engine compartment and forget about it.

Keith

"Hal Davey" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
t...
If I might throw $0.02 in on this. In researching heat protection I ran
across this article which describes why you do not want to use wraps vs.
ceramic coatings.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp
Cheers,
Hal Davey