Old June 7th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Other forces testing US aircraft

FatKat wrote:

[stuff snipped]

I wonder why anybody goes to them. Anyway, my copy lacked many of the
things I would have thought critical in a book about a protracted
conventional war, like maps, diagrams, an index and more color
pictures. Ironically, a small-area map is used for the book's the
dustjacket. Would the book have featured these had Schiffer done their
job? Or did it otherwise reflect the author's efforts? Again, whose
fault isn't my concern.

Schiffer doesn't have any in-house artists and their editors don't edit
much. Authors have to provide all graphics except for the cover art,
which is commissioned if it's not provided by the author. And an
author has to fight to be able to edit the photo captions.

Schiffer books differ widely in quality for obvious reasons. On the
other hand they will publish books on really arcane subjects that
nobody else will handle, i.e. "Maker's Marks of the Beer Steins of the
Hanoverian Household Cavalry of the Napoleonic Wars, Volume 7".

John Hairell )