Old December 3rd 09, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

Default BMW engine aircraft suitable?

On Dec 3, 10:35*am, Philippe wrote:
bildan a écrit:

Molt Taylor was right. *It's really hard to make a PSRU work well on
any engine with less than 8 cylinders. *That's one reason why I
suggested fitting two small displacement, 4-cyl blocks together to
make a flat-8.

* A six cylinder in row or any engine with balance shaft may do the job..
Or, better, a Wankel....

*I agree with the planetary gear (C6 from Ford transmission ?)

The chalange is always the dynamic comportement, vibrations may
cause severe overloads.

--
une télé qui s'éteint et c'est un cerveau qui s'éveille
* * Philippe Vessaire *Ò¿Ó¬

There are planetary gear sets from every major auto maker in the world
so there are hundreds to choose from. The drag race guys sell beefed
up planetary units in any ratio you can think of.

I was thinking of 8 cylinders for another reason. It's very hard to
see how two spark plugs could fit in a cylinder head with 4 valves and
two overhead cams. A second strategy could be to run 4 cylinders with
one ignition system and the other 4 with a 2nd system. If one failed,
the engine would still run on 4 cylinders albeit with only ~30% power,
but that might enough to get me to an emergency landing field. A 6
cyl running on 3 might not.