Old July 22nd 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

In article ,
brian whatcott wrote:

On 7/21/2010 7:57 PM, John Doe wrote:
How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? How does
aircraft takeoff thrust compare to using a conventional motor and
wheel to push oneself along the ground? What sort of incline would
be achievable at say a skater weight of about 160 pounds? I think
the rolling resistance can be assumed to be zero or maybe the same
as a small aircraft.

Anybody know about Everglades/marsh air powered boats? Maybe I
should do a little research on that one.

One thing for sure, if there ever is such a thing as a jetpack, it
will very easily push an in-line skater before it will lift a
person off of the ground.

Thanks.

Jet thrust stays pretty constant with speed.
But Horse Power increases with speed for constant thrust.

Which is a fancy way of saying jets are inefficient at slow speeds,
but efficient at high speeds.
Anyway, think about 5 to 10 pounds of thrust per horse power at skating
speeds.

Brian W

The model airplane guys have a very small (about 15" long, 5" dia)
turbojet that they use on scale jet R/C planes. It costs about $3000 US.